'Peanut Allergy Princess' is the story of one mom, one Princess with food allergies (to peanuts and brazil nuts) and our journey through the stress of life with food allergies. Here you will find many recipes, tips on living (and enjoying life) with food allergies, thoughts from a mother of 3 kids (The Brothers and The Princess) and insights into our life. Welcome!

Monday, August 27, 2012

Steel Cut Oats

It is that time of year again - back-to-school. Back to busy schedules, homework, packing lunches and chaos in the morning trying to find something healthy for breakfast. I think it is very important for my kids to have a very healthy and filling breakfast. I let them eat cereal (some cereals, anyway) on the weekends and I have noticed that they are hungry again within an hour. That annoys me. I have been working on teaching my boys (The Princess is a bit too young to understand still - she is just along for the ride), that eating certain kinds of food for breakfast will last longer. I'm not sure they understand, but we are still working on it.

My 2nd son in notorious for not eating a good breakfast and wanting a snack soon afterwards, but with him starting school this year that just won't cut it. I have been brainstorming and testing new recipes for the past few weeks to find ones that they like, but that will keep them full until lunch. Every day this week (and a bonus on Saturday), I will post one of our favorite breakfast recipes.

Oatmeal isn't original, but it is yummy and filling. We don't like the processed, instant kind full of sugar and preservatives. My kids (except brother #2 - he is still unsure) LOVE steel cut oats. They do take a bit more time in the morning, but it is worth it! I generally get up a little earlier then my kids and get the oats started. While my boys get up, get dressed and do whatever else little boys do in the morning (which often involves Legos), my oats are cooking. By the time my kids are upstairs, we are ready to eat. And, in the off chance that my kids get ready super fast, they have some time to read before breakfast (which helps with the after school homework battle if the reading is already finished).

Steel cut oats can also be cooked the night before and stored in the refrigerator (this goes for leftovers as well - for up to a week). When you are ready to eat them, simply scoop out the desired amount into a bowl, add a little milk, microwave until warm (about a minute or 2) and than add your desired toppings.

We like to keep things simple and add a little bit of almond milk and some pure maple syrup. I generally buy Grade A maple syrup because it is still healthy, but not as expensive as Grade B.  You can also add chopped nuts, raisins, craisins or fresh or frozen fruit. That is another thing we like about oatmeal - each bowl can be customized!

Here is what you will need:

1 cup steel cut oats

3 cups water

pinch salt

milk

Toppings

Bring the water to a boil and then stir in the steel-cut-oats along with a pinch of salt (this brings out the nutty flavor in the oats). Let the water and oats come back to a boil, then turn down the heat to medium-low.

Simmer the oats, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes depending on how cooked or chewy you want your oats. Give it a stir every few minutes to make sure the bottom isn't burning. Take it off the heat when it reaches your desired consistency (but keep in mind it will still "cook" for a bit. You can always add water - or milk - if it gets too dry).

Enjoy!



Jana

No comments:

Post a Comment