'Peanut Allergy Princess' is the story of one mom, one Princess with food allergies (to peanuts and brazil nuts) and our journey through the stress of life with food allergies. Here you will find many recipes, tips on living (and enjoying life) with food allergies, thoughts from a mother of 3 kids (The Brothers and The Princess) and insights into our life. Welcome!

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Moments


“Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” 
                                                                                                                                                        -Hilary Cooper


There are some moments in life that are perfect - when life is good and I don't feel the daily stress of keeping my daughter safe. I had one of those moments yesterday while she and her brother played in the pool and I relaxed in the shade of the porch. Watching.



I struggle between wanting her to be independent and longing to keep her by my side at all times to make sure she is safe. This is a normal feeling for all mothers... but with food allergies, it is 100 - no 1000 times stronger. What if she is given peanuts when I am not around? Even if I have trained the person she is with, will they know what to do? Will they do it in time? Will if be enough? It is hard to be away from her and not stress a bit, and wonder, "Is she ok?" I struggle to find the balance between constant vigilance and giving her freedom to roam.  She is only 1, but I wonder how I will feel when she goes to preschool... than to kindergarten... and off to 1st grade and beyond. My precious princess, out in the big scary world without me. 


But yesterday, I did not worry about any of those things as I watched my princess and her 
brother. It was one of those moments. 



Jana

No comments:

Post a Comment