'Peanut Allergy Princess' is the story of one mom, one Princess with food allergies (to peanuts and brazil nuts) and our journey through the stress of life with food allergies. Here you will find many recipes, tips on living (and enjoying life) with food allergies, thoughts from a mother of 3 kids (The Brothers and The Princess) and insights into our life. Welcome!

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Cilantro Sunflower Pesto

Recipe slightly adapted from Our Best Bites
Although it may seem that I have gone MIA, summer has just sucked all my time. I think I have started too many DIY projects around the house, mixed with summer fun and I have (obviously) not posted for  awhile. To make up for being a slacker, I have a fabulous dinner recipe that all my kids loved. And when all 3 kids like the same thing, I know I have found a real winner!

The great thing about pesto is that you can make a big batch and freeze the leftover. My aunt taught me to put the extra pesto in a ziploc bag and flatten it. Set it flat on a paper plate in the freezer until it is well frozen, than you can get rid of the plate. When you are ready to eat some, simply break off as much as you want. This works great when you just want a little bit for lunch and don't want to thaw all the leftover sauce.

And now... the recipe.

1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped (about 1 cup)
1 clove garlic, smashed, peeled and roughly chopped
1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1/4 -1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tsp sucanat (or brown sugar)
zest and juice from one lime (about 2 tsp zest and 2 Tbsp juice)
1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds* (plus more for serving, if desired)
2-3 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
3/4 pound (12 oz.) egg free* whole wheat linguine or spaghetti, cooked according to box instructions
Bell peppers (all colors), diced
Snow peas (I sauteed mine ever so slightly)

In a food processor, combine cilantro (save a bit for garnish), garlic, ginger, olive and sesame oils, red pepper flakes, lime zest and juice, sucanat and sunflower seeds (basically everything except soy sauce). Pulse until coarse paste forms.

Season with soy sauce and pulse to combine.

In a large bowl, toss pesto with hot pasta. Sprinkle additional sunflower seeds, diced bell peppers, snow peas and extra cilantro over pasta. Garnish with lime wedges if desired.

Serve immediately. If you are prepping and not quite ready to eat, wait to toss with pasta until right before serving for the best flavor.

Serves 4 main dish or 6-8 small sides.

* I prefer to buy raw sunflower seeds. To roast them, place a single layer of kernels in a shallow pan. Roast at 300 degrees F for 30-40 minutes or until brown and crisp. Stir occasionally. Remove from the oven. Place seeds on an absorbent paper towel until ready for use. They can be stored in a tightly covered container.

** I buy all my egg-free, whole wheat spaghetti and other pasta at Costco.


1 comment:

  1. Looks soooo delicious! I do not care for peppers though. Would zucchini or tomatoes taste good instead?!

    ReplyDelete