'Peanut Allergy Princess' is the story of one mom, one Princess with food allergies (to peanuts and brazil nuts) and our journey through the stress of life with food allergies. Here you will find many recipes, tips on living (and enjoying life) with food allergies, thoughts from a mother of 3 kids (The Brothers and The Princess) and insights into our life. Welcome!

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Egg-Free Sugar Cookies

I realize that I haven't posted very regularly - again. I did finally finish one of my DIY projects (pictures coming soon) which had been taking up residence in my garage causing my car to be parked in the hot sun. But now, we are working on putting in a sprinkling system in the back yard, I spent a night at girls camp and we have family in town that we have been visiting. So... I really am not a slacker, just a very busy mom!

In honor of the 4th of July, I wanted to make a fun dessert that everyone could enjoy. My kids and I LOVE sugar cookies - for all occasions. We make them at least every other month. When the princess was diagnosed with an egg allergy, I couldn't use my stand-by sugar cookie recipe anymore. I set out to find/create a new favorite. We tested a lot of recipes before I found one that we liked - not too soft but not too crunchy.

I have fiddled with it to try and make it a little bit healthier (not healthy - just healthier), but it does change the look and texture of the cookies a tiny bit. If that just doesn't work for you or it is too expensive or you can't find some of the stuff, go back to white flour and white sugar. Just eat them sparingly - if possible!

Cookies
Makes about 36 cookies

1 cup butter (or coconut oil, or half butter and half coconut oil)

1 cup white sugar (I substituted raw sugar, which makes the cookies have a slight crunch)

2 Tbsp fresh-ground flax seed mixed with 6 Tbsp water

1 tsp vanilla extract

3 3/4 cups flour (I used wonder flour which makes them a little bit darker in color)

2 tsp. baking soda

1/4 cup cream cheese (if you can't do dairy, try Tofutti)

1. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in flax seeds mixed with water and vanilla. Gradually add the flour, baking powder and cream cheese.

2. Form dough into a long loaf and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for a couple of hours.

3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets (unless using a silpat).

4. On lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes (stars for the 4th of July) using a cookie cutter. Place about 1 inch apart on cookie sheets.

5. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes until bottoms and edges just barely start to brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes on baking sheet, then remove to wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container (if there are any left).

Icing
Each batch covers about 24 cookies

2 cups confectioners' sugar

6-8 tsp. of non-dairy milk

4 tsp. honey

1/2 tsp. almond extract

Food coloring

1. In medium bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in honey and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more honey.

2. Add food coloring to reach desired color. Dip cookies and allow to dry overnight.

This type of icing is a bit messier, but it makes such beautiful cookies. Buttercream is also delicious and easy - and we like our cookies frosted both ways.

Jana

No comments:

Post a Comment