'Peanut Allergy Princess' is the story of one mom, one Princess with food allergies (to peanuts and brazil nuts) and our journey through the stress of life with food allergies. Here you will find many recipes, tips on living (and enjoying life) with food allergies, thoughts from a mother of 3 kids (The Brothers and The Princess) and insights into our life. Welcome!

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Cinnamon Chip Scones

Growing up in Utah, scones were bread dough that was deep fried and topped with honey and butter. It wasn't until I visited back east when I was pregnant with The Princess that I learned there were other types of scones. While I still like the "Utah" variety, I prefer the "real" scones (I'm sure I will offend some Utahns by referring to their scones as not the real thing). "Real" scones are much healthier, not so greasy, and definitely not so messy.

I had a bag of cinnamon chips laying around my house (that I bought on a whim because they looked so yummy) and needed to figure out what to do with them. Lately, I have been craving some warm bread or muffins (since the temperature hasn't made it above 25 degrees for more than 2 days in the last 2 weeks) and decided I would combine my need to use my cinnamon chips with my craving... and this was the result. Yummy scones that are healthy enough for a quick breakfast paired with some fruit, a green smoothie (because if you are like me, a green smoothie alone will not last all morning), or some plain greek yogurt mixed with fruit. The Princess says it is like eating a cookie... a cookie for breakfast!


Cinnamon Chip Scones

2 1/4 cups wonder flour (or other whole grain flour)

1 1/4 cups soft white wheat flour

1/4 cup raw sugar

2 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

3/4 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

3/4 cups cold butter

1 cup buttermilk

1 tsp vanilla

3/4 cup cinnamon chips*

Melted butter (optional)

Coarse sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine dry ingredients. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. I used the blade of my mixer to do this instead of doing it by hand and it worked great (and was much easier!). Stir in buttermilk and vanilla. Fold in cinnamon chips. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently for a few minutes.

Here is where you will have two options. I made my scones both ways and they worked out equally as well, just pick the method you prefer.

Method #1: Divide in half and pat into 7-inch round circles. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse sugar (like turbinado sugar). Cut into 6 or 8 wedges. Place on baking sheet.  Bake at 425 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until the tops begin to brown.

Method #2: Divide in half and pat into two 8-inch pie pans. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse sugar (like turbinado sugar). Bake at 425 degrees F for 12-14 minutes or until the tops begin to brown. Cool slightly, cut into 6 or 8 wedges.

* I was able to find Hershey's brand cinnamon chips that are not manufactured in a facility with peanuts. Don't buy the Nestle brand.

Recipe adapted from How Sweet It Is


Jana

No comments:

Post a Comment