'Peanut Allergy Princess' is the story of one mom, one Princess with food allergies (to peanuts and brazil nuts) and our journey through the stress of life with food allergies. Here you will find many recipes, tips on living (and enjoying life) with food allergies, thoughts from a mother of 3 kids (The Brothers and The Princess) and insights into our life. Welcome!

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Dairy Free Cole Slaw

There are a few more weeks of summer and maybe you still have some family reunions or get-togethers to attend. Coleslaw is always a perfect side dish for any BBQ or outdoor family gathering. I am a sucker for some good coleslaw, but have had a very hard time finding a great recipe that I can make at home. I like to think of myself as a connoisseur of coleslaw now, having tried so many different recipes. Most were ok, but there was always something missing and I could never figure out what it was. Not to mention that most coleslaw isn't that healthy, despite having cabbage and carrots in it.

After going to a family BBQ last year, I was introduced to the perfect make-at-home coleslaw - Brookville coleslaw. I have seen versions of this recipe all over the internet now but I believe the original stems from a hotel in Kansas (The Brookville Hotel) that is famous for it's old fashioned chicken dinners.

Now, I had a few issues with the original recipe. One being that used heavy cream as an ingredient and the other was the amount of sugar. I have always had issues using heavy cream - I am just weird like that. I don't like giving my kids super high fat dairy products (except maybe the occasional bowl of ice cream) and we had The Princess's dairy allergy to deal with. So, I set out to "healthify" (is that a word?) this recipe and it turned out dairy free in the process. A double bonus.

Now, my hubby thinks that without the cream it is lacking a little but I disagree in this instance. However, if you don't have issues using heavy cream, go ahead and give it a try. You can decide for yourself which you prefer.  So, choose your method and lets get mixing!

1 tsp salt

2/3 cup sugar (ALOT!!)*

1/3 cup cider vinegar

1 cup raw cashews**

1 cup water**

1 bag coleslaw

1 bag broccoli slaw (which I have found at my local Walmart)

* You have a few options here. You can substitute turbinado sugar. You can also cut the sugar down to 1/2 cup. I don't like things super sweet so it works for me. If you want to cut the sugar down but need more "sweet" add a bit of agave nectar to taste.

** This is what replaces the heavy cream. Raw cashews blended with water in a high-powered blender produce a nice "cream" that can be used to replace heavy cream in recipes. Obviously it won't make whipped cream, but it is very helpful when making sauces and soups. If you want to keep the cream, use 1 cup.

About 1 hour before serving, blend water and cashews in a high-powered blender until creamy. Add salt, sugar, cider vinegar mix. Pour over coleslaw and broccoli slaw. Mix well and refrigerate until serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment