'Peanut Allergy Princess' is the story of one mom, one Princess with food allergies (to peanuts and brazil nuts) and our journey through the stress of life with food allergies. Here you will find many recipes, tips on living (and enjoying life) with food allergies, thoughts from a mother of 3 kids (The Brothers and The Princess) and insights into our life. Welcome!

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Breakfast Pockets

We are halfway through our week of back-to-school breakfasts - and I might have saved the best for last. Today's breakfast is a kid favorite. It is easily customizable for everyone's taste and can also be taken to school for lunch.

These are a little bit labor-intensive - start to finish they take me about an hour (when I don't have any interruptions) so they are best done over the weekend or the night before. Unless you like to get up early and bake. 

The dough that I currently use is only half whole-wheat. I am still on the search for the best 100% whole wheat dough that doesn't take all day to make. When I do find it, I will be sure to let you know. Warning: this dough is not sweet, more like a pizza crust. Feel free to experiment with your own favorite dough. I grind my own wheat (hard white wheat) and store it in the freezer. You can easily substitute store-bought wheat flour (just make sure it says 100% whole wheat) or if you are seriously lacking in time or dough making skill, you can use store-bought dough (Gasp!). I like Rhodes dough. Just thaw the rolls according to package directions and one doubled in size, you are ready to go.

So, lets get started:

Breakfast Pockets

1/2 cup scalded non-dairy milk (I used hemp milk)

2 Tbsp. coconut oil

1 Tbsp. turbinado sugar (I used regular sugar - since it is such a small amount)

1 tsp. salt

1 Tbsp. yeast

1/2 cup warm water

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour

Fillings such as nut butters, jam, Nutella, bananas, eggs, bacon, cheese, finely diced bell peppers, onions, etc...


Add the oil to the hot milk. It is ok if your coconut oil is solid (or very firm), it will melt when mixed with the hot milk. Add the sugar and salt to the milk mixture and cool to lukewarm. Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Add yeast mixture to the warm milk mixture. Pour everything in the base of a stand mixer. Add flour. Knead well. You can knead this by hand if you really want to, but I let my mixer do it.

Once the dough ball is nice and firm and no longer sticking to the sides, remove from stand mixer and place in greased bowl. Let stand in warm place for 15 minutes. I heat my oven for a minute or 2 until it is just warm and than stick my bowl in. You can also place a pan of boiling (or very hot) water under the bowl of dough in the oven. The moist heat will also help it rise.

Section dough into pieces (how many you end up with will just depend on how big they are). I generally end up with around 14 dough balls.

Roll out dough balls on lightly floured surface.

Here comes the fun (and creative) part: the filling!! There are many different options. Here are some of our favorites. Eggs, small pinch of cheese, large pinch of finely diced bell peppers. We also like to add bacon once in awhile for an extra special treat.

Homemade almond butter and homemade low sugar raspberry apricot freezer jam - or any kind of combination.

Nutella and bananas (for The Princess)
Try not to focus on the terrible quality of this picture - I could not find another Nutella/banana example. 
I have no idea what happened here, but this may well be the worst picture I have ever taken.

Grab up the sides of the dough and pinch shut. Be careful not to overfill or the rolls have a tendency to pop open while baking.

Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 15-20 minutes. They can be stored in an airtight container or plastic bag in the refrigerator for a week for freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, microwave for 1 minute.

Recipe inspired by Budget Gourmet Mom


Jana

No comments:

Post a Comment