'Peanut Allergy Princess' is the story of one mom, one Princess with food allergies (to peanuts and brazil nuts) and our journey through the stress of life with food allergies. Here you will find many recipes, tips on living (and enjoying life) with food allergies, thoughts from a mother of 3 kids (The Brothers and The Princess) and insights into our life. Welcome!

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Cinnamon Caramel Corn

I promised more allergy friendly dessert recipes... so here is another one. I LOVE caramel corn - who doesn't really? OK, Brother #1 thinks he is allergic to caramel because it makes his mouth feel "funny" (aren't kids silly), so he won't eat it, but most people like it.

I like to use an air-popper when I make popcorn. They are inexpensive and so easy to use. Air-popped popcorn also makes a delicious, quick and healthy snack for after school or when you have the munchies.

I discovered brown rice syrup about 6 or 7 months ago and it is one of my new favorite finds. It is so much healthier than corn syrup, but can be used to replace it in recipes. You can also use honey to replace corn syrup  but I like using brown rice syrup better because it doesn't change the flavor of the recipe like honey does. I buy mine through Azure Standard (it is a little bit cheaper than Amazon). I order a few jars when I am ordering my grains and coconut oil in bulk and it will usually get me through 4-6 months (depending on how much popcorn I make). I also buy my molasses through Azure Standard. I prefer to buy unsulphured black strap molasses, but any molasses will do.

Cinnamon Caramel Corn

12 cups air-popped popcorn (about 1/2 cup unpopped kernels)

3/4 cup sucanat

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 cup brown rice syrup

1 Tbsp molasses

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter*

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp baking soda

2 squares almond bark (optional)

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line baking sheet with foil or spray with non-stick spray.

Air pop popcorn, pull out all unpopped kernels (I cracked a tooth once on an unpopped kernel and had to get a crown put on. So, for safety sake, it is best to remove them) and set popcorn aside.

Combine sucanat and cinnamon in a 2-liter microwave safe bowl. Mix well. Chop butter into chunks and place on top of sucanat mixture. * I have never used coconut oil, but I bet it would work if there is a dairy allergy. Pour brown rice syrup and molasses over everything in bowl.

Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove and stir everything together.

Return to microwave and heat for 2 minutes. Remove and stir than microwave for 2 more minutes.

Remove from microwave and add vanilla and baking soda. Stir to combine. The mixture should foam and rise. Pour over popcorn and stir very well to coat (although don't worry too much if all your popcorn isn't coated - you will be able to stir it better after it has been heated).

Spread popcorn mixture onto baking sheet. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes, removing every 10 minutes to stir. This is where you can make sure that all of your popcorn kernels are well coated.

Remove from oven and spread out on wax paper or parchment paper.

Melt almond bark (I like to use 1 brick of vanilla and 1 brick of chocolate) according to package instructions. Drizzle over popcorn. When almond bark is hardened and popcorn is cool, break into chunks and give away (or you will be tempted to eat the whole batch!).

Recipe adapted from Our Best Bites



Jana







No comments:

Post a Comment